Pagan News and Views Since 1998

What are some of your favorite herbs to cook with? What works good for you for cleaning?

BB
Sherry

Views: 240

Replies to This Discussion

Garlic is number one, not only for its flavouring, but also as a medicinal. A bit of trivia about this wonderful herb:

The word garlic comes from Old English ""Garleac"", meaning "spear leek." Dating back over 6,000 years, it is native to Central Asia, and has long been a staple in the Mediterranean region, as well as a frequent seasoning in Asia, Africa, and Europe.

Egyptians worshipped garlic and placed clay models of garlic bulbs in the tomb of Tutankhamen. Garlic was so highly-prized, it was even used as currency. Folklore holds that garlic repelled vampires, protected against the Evil Eye, and warded off jealous nymphs said to terrorize pregnant women and engaged maidens. And let us not forget to mention the alleged aphrodisiac powers of garlic which have been extolled through the ages.

I can go on and on but here is a great tip:

When garlic cloves are cooked or baked whole, the flavour mellows into a sweet, almost nutty flavour that hardly resembles any form of pungency. This nutty flavour makes a surprisingly nice addition to desserts, such as brownies or even ice cream.

PS: Never tried it on Ice cream yet - that will be a first time, has anyone tried it like that yet?

Blessings.
Denise

I love Cilantro. I use it in a lot of different items, salad, salsa, soups. I love the flavor. I also use cumin a lot in meat dishes. It gives a great flavor to meats. I was very interested to learn that you can use herbs to clean with and considering that I have animals anything that does not harm is awesome in my book. Definitely looking into that a little more.
I love this herb class.

To cook with:
Black pepper corns, which may seem too obvious but they're great protection herbs and i can hardly eat a savory dish without them.
Basil for cooking is great too. Dried or fresh, i love the smell and the flavor it adds to chicken or beef.
Lavender is my favorite dessert herb. Love it with chocolate.
And of course Vanilla is essential for desserts.

For cleaning:
Lemon for its fresh smell and cleansing properties
While I'm not using the fresh herb - Tea Tree essential oil is my favorite for cleaning. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties I love. I use it to fumigate every time a move into a new place just in case there's any sort of mold trying to make itself a home.

Huzzah! another black pepper addict.

ill have to keep the polish in mind for the few wooden pieces of furniture we have.

I am looking forward to spring as I plan on trying my hand at growing as many herbs as i can in pots on our balcony.
Until the landlord gives us the go to cage up the free-range rabbits in our yard, no garden for me.

I LOVE Cilantro LOVE it soo much. It's so good, i love the flavor and it gives everything a unique taste. I use Oregano in all my Italian themed dishes, I love experimenting with herbs in cooking. Cilantro also makes things completely different in taste like onion and tomato and jalapeno is just three ingredients that taste okay mixed together but mix in Cilantro and you got pico de gallo and it's completely different. I wish i could've worded this a little better sorry if it sounded a little odd.

I adore Tarragon as a green herb in all my meatballs and italian cooking great in bread too. Cumin for meats. And Asafoetida or giant fennel for a savory base aroma.

parsley :)

La mia preferita è la Salvia, la uso molto in cucina, ma anche per purificare.
Poi uso spesso aglio, prezzemolo, timo, basilico, rosmarino, queste sono quelle che uso di più.

For cooking, my favorite herbs are bay leaf, dill, and thyme. Savory herbs are my favorites. I haven't tried many herbs for cleaning. Mostly I use vinegar and baking soda (lol). However, I hope to learn more about household herbs after I learn basic healing herbs.

My favorite herbs to cook with are Oregano, Sweet Basil, and Cilantro. I suppose it's the Italian in me, since I am constantly making homemade sauce for recipes or just to give to family members. My very first recipe that I learned was how to make my own meat sauce, my grandmother originated from Sicily so no surprise there. I also love to use cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, especially when I am making my own potpourri, I tend to associate these smells with home and comfort.

RSS

© 2019   Created by The Daily Spell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service